Volume expander (By injection)
Used to replace fluids (water and electrolytes) that are lost due to illness, trauma, or surgery.
Albuked 25, Albuked 5, Albuminar-25, Albuminar-5, Alburx, Albutein, Buminate, Flexbumin, Hespan, Hextend, Human Albumin Grifols, Kedbumin, LMD in Dextrose, LMD w/0.9% Sodium Chloride, Plasbumin-25There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You might not be able to receive this medicine if you have severe heart failure, kidney failure, or severe bleeding disorders. You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using a steroid medicine such as dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone, or Medrol®. Tell your doctor if you also use corticotropins such as ACTH or H.P. ACTHAR®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Tell your doctor if you have edema (fluid retention), a blood disorder, a lung disorder, or breathing problems. Make sure your doctor knows if you have diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, or liver disease.
- Some forms of this medicine may raise your blood sugar. This is especially important if you have diabetes and monitor your blood glucose levels. Talk with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about this.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, shortness of breath, or coughing up blood.
- Dizziness or fainting.
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps.
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body.
- Pain, itching, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Sudden nausea or vomiting.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain in your joints.
- Rapid weight gain.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 5/4/2018